1/22/12

CBR's Top 100 Comics of 2011

Comic Book Resources has compiled their list of the "Top 100 Comics of 2011," which could double as my "to read" list.  So, as a reminder to myself, I'm reblogging the list here, with a couple of comments on what I've read, and what looks good.

100-76 on the list
I've read Jim Woodring's psychedelic "Congress of the Animals," a twisting wordless tale that's ultimately a love story.  I haven't yet read Chester Brown's "Paying For It," but it sounds intriguing -- or painful (it's hard to tell). Also tempting yet perhaps painful is Mark Waid's "Irredeemable." On the other hand, "Darkwing Duck" is just pure fun.


75-51
I've read the intro to "Archive Meets Kiss," but I'm not sure it's one of the best of 2011 -- I'll have to check it out.  It's interesting that OMAC comes in at #52 on the list -- coincidence? And finally, "A Tale of Sand" written by the late Jim Henson of Muppet fame looks interesting.

50-26
I gave my wife a copy of Sarah Oleksyk's book "Ivy," and I also read the online version. The art is so engaging, and the story equally endearing.  The other comic that I've read from this list is almost the complete opposite: "Chew."  As the blurb says, "Layman and Guillory's insane tale of a cop who can read the history of any food he eats" is a cool premise, skillfully done.

From this section two books that I particularly want to read are "Pepper Penwell & The Land Creature of Monster Lake" and Carla Speed McNeil's "Finder:Voice."  I saw McNeil at Portland's Stumptown Comics Fest, but I failed to get a copy of the Finder book at the time.

25-11
Unfortunately I haven't read any of the comics in this area.  Ray Fawkes' "One Soul" is sitting on top of my "to read" pile right now, so I'm looking forward to that. Also, I've been following Vera Brosgol on twitter, and I'm eager to read her work of a teenage girl who's picks up a friendly specter that slowly turns scary in "Anya's Ghost."

10-1
Out of the top 10, most of CBR's selections are superhero series.  There are three exceptions, all interesting.
I've read some of Kate Beaton's "Hark A Vagrant" online, and new stories of "Love & Rockets" is always a good thing, but Craig Thompson's "Habibi" is the oyster's pearl here.  It's a massive work, years in the making, and a turning point for Craig Thompson. I've read it twice, but I feel I need to read it again before making any further proclamations.

Looking over this list, I evidently need to read a lot more comics.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment